Finding, exchanging or transferring a home


How to apply for a home with the Mill Street Housing Society

The Mill Street Housing Society was set up in 1932 to provide homes for local people in the area.

To be considered for a property you should be registered with the council.  You can then use the Choice Based Lettings website to search for a vacancy anywhere in Dorset.

Normally priority for the Society’s homes will be given to someone nominated through Dorset Home Choice with a housing need and a local connection. 

Tenants wanting sheltered properties must be over 60 years old and able to live independently.

The Society also lets five homes funded as a war memorial that were gifted to the Society by the Dorset Regiment. The homes are in Dorchester, Sherborne and Poole.  Priority for these homes is given to families with military connections. 

The Society may refuse an application if the applicant is not suitable for the property.


How to exchange your home

A mutual exchange is when you swap your home with another tenant.

Most local housing associations will consider an exchange between their tenant and a Mill Street Housing Society tenant.

You need the permission of both landlords before you exchange your home.

Both tenants must have a clear rent account and a good tenancy record.  Both landlords will provide references and will consider the circumstances of the tenants and their reason for needing a move.

To apply for an exchange, please contct Michelle Powell at Symonds and Sampson:    01305 261 008 

If an exchange is approved, you take on the tenancy of the current tenant and take over the house in its present condition.  The landlord will not carry out any works once you have moved in.

If an exchange is refused you will be informed of this decision in writing, explaining why it cannot proceed.


How to transfer to another home

If you want to transfer to another home you need to contact Michelle Powell at Syonds & Sampson to explain why you need a transfer and where you would like to transfer to:    01305 261 008

To be considered for a transfer you need to have a clear rent account, a good tenancy record and have been a tenant for over one year.

Tenants of sheltered housing can only apply for another flat in a sheltered scheme.

Get in touch

Managing Agent to the Society
Symonds & Sampson

Contact Michelle Powell for housing management, including rents, lettings, repairs and maintenance.

01305 261 008

30 High West Street Dorchester DT1 1UP

Secretary to the Society

Judith Dearlove

Contact for general enquiries, Society management and organisation, committee matters, Mill Street history and complaints.

01305 261622

Fordington Hill House,
High Street Fordington,
Dorchester, DT1 1LZ

Warden to the Society

Rosie Sibley

The warden service is available for residents in sheltered housing: Weekdays 9am-5pm.

01305 264 156

or fill in our contact form