Other tenancy matters

Household insurance

The structure of your home is insured by the Society but you need to insure your contents.  This is not a legal requirement but if you are burgled or there is a fire or flood that ruins your belongings you may not be able to afford to pay for their replacement if you are not insured.

Basic home contents insurance can be found at a modest cost if you shop around. There is a lot of choice and using a price comparison website can help you find a good deal.

The National Housing Federation offers, in conjunction with Jardine Lloyd Thompson, a policy for tenants called 'My Home' contents insurance.  The scheme aims to help tenants on low incomes to take out basic insurance cover for an affordable premium. Instant cover is available

To get a quote please call 0845 337 2463.


Keeping a pet

Before you take in a pet you must ask for permission by contacting Michelle Powell at Symonds & Sampson

30 High West Street Dorchester DT1 1UP

01305 261 008

mpowell@symonds andsampson.co.uk


For dogs and cats

If you live in a house or bungalow with direct access to a garden that is for your sole use, you will normally be granted permission to keep a dog or cat.  Consideration will be given to the type of property you live in and the size of your garden as well as the breed, size and number of pets you are asking permission to keep.

Residents in sheltered flats cannot keep dogs or cats.

If you do have a pet you must make sure that it is kept under control and does not cause a nuisance or distress to other residents in your area.  Permission to keep a pet may be withdrawn if the animal is causing a nuisance or if there are concerns about the animal’s welfare.

If a problem is being caused by neighbour’s dogs you can contact the Dog Warden for advice. https://www.dorsetforyou.com/dog-warden

Get in touch

Managing Agent to the Society
Symonds & Sampson

Contact Michelle Powell for housing management, including rents, lettings, repairs and maintenance.

01305 261 008


30 High West Street Dorchester DT1 1UP

Secretary to the Society

Judith Dearlove

Contact for general enquiries, Society management and organisation, committee matters, Mill Street history and complaints.

01305 261622

Fordington Hill House,
High Street Fordington,
Dorchester, DT1 1LZ

Warden to the Society

Rosie Sibley

The warden service is available for residents in sheltered housing: Weekdays 9am-5pm.

01305 264 156

or fill in our contact form