Mission Hall Window

The Mission was once the centre of life in Mill Street.  It started in 1905 in an old thatched cottages beside the mill stream.  A larger brick building was built in 1929 to accommodate the over spilling congregations and the Sunday school which had more than 100 local children attending.  Over the years a youth fellowship, a men’s club, a women’s meeting group and a scout troop were formed.  A wash house with hot water, a luxury, was built and other support given to the poor and needy in the years between both world wars and through to the early 1950s.

In 1961, the rebuilding of Mill Street area under the Dorchester Town Council slum clearance plan began.  The old street pattern disappeared. Most people moved to the Park area causing the Sunday school and congregation to dwindle.  The brick building was then used for community activities and was finally demolished in 1958.  The old corrugated hall survived and was relocated to a village and used as a scout hut.  The window is one of the few rare survivals from the Mill Street Mission.



« Go Back

Get in touch

Managing Agent to the Society
Symonds & Sampson

Contact Michelle Powell for housing management, including rents, lettings, repairs and maintenance.

01305 261 008


30 High West Street Dorchester DT1 1UP

Secretary to the Society

Judith Dearlove

Contact for general enquiries, Society management and organisation, committee matters, Mill Street history and complaints.

01305 261622

Fordington Hill House,
High Street Fordington,
Dorchester, DT1 1LZ

Warden to the Society

Rosie Sibley

The warden service is available for residents in sheltered housing: Weekdays 9am-5pm.

01305 264 156

or fill in our contact form